Bed Bugs - Cimex lectularius
- Color: Mahogany to rusty brown; red after a blood meal
- Legs: 6
- Shape: Flat; broad oval
- Size: 1/4
- Antennae: True
- Region: non-restricted
- Bed bugs get their name because they like to live and feed in beds.
Habits: Bed bugs like to travel and will hide in suitcases, boxes and shoes to be near a food supply. They are elusive, nocturnal creatures. They can hide behind baseboards, electrical switchplates, picture frames, even wall paper. They come out at night for a blood meal.
Bed Bugs like to hide in small cracks and crevices close to a human environment. They can be found behind baseboards, wallpaper, upholstery, and in furniture crevices.
Threats: Although bed bugs can dine on any warm-blooded animal, they primarily dine on humans. Bed bugs do not transmit diseases, but their bites can become red, itchy welts.
- Vacuum suitcases after returning from a vacation.
- Check your bedsheets for tell-tale blood spots.
- Consider bringing a large plastic trashbag to keep your suitcase in during hotel stays.
- Carry a small flashlight to assist you with quick visual inspections.
- Bed bugs are elusive creatures, so it is imperative to seek the correct information on pest control and how to address an infestation.