• Pestop Pest Control

    Dealership opportunities provide entrepreneurs and investors a chance to join an exciting and rewarding industry

Fleas, there Characteristics/Solutions

How do I get rid of fleas?

Use carpet spray - Spray carpets and upholstery in the home. Fleas love dark places, so spray under furniture and in crevices. Fog your house - Some foggers are effective up to 7 months, long enough to kill all the life stages of a flea in most cases. You may need to use 2-3 foggers depending on the size of your home.

What do fleas live off of?

As few as one or two bites can cause severe itching and scratching in allergic pets. Cat fleas do not normally live on humans, but do bite people who handle infested animals. Flea bites cause small, red, itchy bumps, usually on the ankles and lower legs.

Can fleas live on hard floors?

Hard-surfaced floors are no protection, either; fleas can live in the cracks and around the edges of wood, laminate, or tile floors. They can also take refuge in furniture, bedding, and area rugs. If you live in an area with fleas, it is important to protect your pets at all times.

How long can fleas live in an empty house?

Once aboard, they remain until they are dislodged or groomed from the animal. Without a host, adult fleas live only a few days to 2 weeks. On short-haired cats and dogs fleas survive an average of 8 days; they live longer on long-haired animals. The female flea begins laying eggs within 2 days of her first blood meal.

Have an understanding of the process

Treat pets and house for fleas on the same day

Getting rid of fleas on your cat or dog alone does not tackle the overall flea problem. During the flea cycle only about 5% of fleas are actually living on your dog or cat. The other 95% of fleas (in one stage of the flea life cycle or another) are living in your house or yard. That is why it is so important to kill the fleas in your house and on your cat or dog at the same time.

Getting the initial control over fleas is not an easy five minute job but once you have control then maintenance will be easy. Don't get disheartened if it seems that you get a fresh flea infestation a week or two after using the following flea control method. It is explained to you in this article why this often happens. It has to do with with the flea pupae being impervious to insecticides.

Let's get on with the job of getting rid of fleas in your house and on your Pets be it Cats of Dogs.

Battle Stations. You can win this war.

How do I break the flea life cycle?

It is important to treat all of your pets and your house on the same day. It is pointless to treat your house and not your pet, it is also pointless to treat you pet and not your house. This is the only way you will get total flea control.

STEP 1 - Vacuum Kill fleas

Your vacuum cleaner is your number one weapon in the war. Your first step is to vacuum vacuum vacuum! Vacuum your entire house paying particular attention to corners, dark crevices, under furniture, under beds, pet beds, rugs and especially around baseboards (also called skirting boards). Put the nozzle attachment on your vacuum cleaner and thoroughly vacuum around all baseboards and edges of fixtures.

The vibrations from vacuuming also stimulates the fleas to emerge from their cocoons and thus they will be exposed to the insecticide that will be used.

THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE VACUUMING UP (even though you can't see them):


Fleas that are living on your cat or dog lay eggs. The eggs drop off your pet and land on your carpet or floor.

Vacuum them up. Get rid of the flea eggs in your carpet.


 The eggs hatch and become larvae. These little worm like creature have hair like bristles that enable them to move around. They avoid the light and move to crevices, corners, under furniture, in cracks between floor boards and along baseboards.

Vacuum them up. Get rid of the flea larvae in your carpet.


After a while the larvae pupate. This means that they spin a cocoon around themselves and begin a change. In the cocoon they are changing into adult fleas. It is similar to a caterpillar which spins a cocoon and then emerges as a butterfly.

Vacuum them up. Get rid of the flea pupae in your carpet.

The more of the pupae you vacuum up the better the outcome. The cocoon surrounding the developing flea is water tight and impervious to insecticides.

When you have finished vacuuming dispose of the contents of your vacuum cleaner completely.

STEP 2 - Spray Insecticide

Flea Treatment For your

House & Yard

Spray all carpets, rugs, floors, soft furnishings and places your pet sleeps with an aerosol, flea bomb or fogger that kills flea eggs, larvae and emerging adult fleas. Check the label of sprays for active ingredients. Make sure you spray into every nook and cranny and pay special attention around baseboards and under rugs and furniture. Spray under beds and under couches etc. Developing fleas avoid the light and make their way to dark areas.